Beauty connoisseurs may already be familiar with subscription sample boxes but for many of my wellness focused readers, it may be something new. Simply described, sample subscription boxes are a great way to try new products. The beauty category is filled with options to subscribe to. Since I am not your typical beauty blogger I thought I would share a quick excerpt from ConsumersAffairs here, and if you’re really interested you can review some of the beauty boxes that receive high ratings at their site. What I appreciate about the guide by Consumer Affairs is they do an excellent job educating you on how to select the right subscription box. Of course as I always encourage, the first question to ask is ‘What are my values and how does it effect my health, animals and the planet?”. I highlighted the criteria I would consider first in green below. It is a lot to think about but why not aim for an A+ Life! One of my WWB icons wrote a book called ‘Little Changes’ and it’s an excellent book that will help you become savvy about personal care products, home cleaning products and ingredients.
What I’m passionate about at World Wise Beauty is focusing on wellness culture–wellness for us as individuals and wellness for the beautiful planet we live on. Below are the savvy tips from Consumer Affairs, and just beneath that is my ‘Ideal Find’ for the subscription sample box category. My choice is focused on conscious beauty and personal wellness which satisfies my values criteria. I hope you get to know this company, as they are well established, and very committed to curating the best in green and conscious beauty. What I also like is they are seasonal and you won’t be overwhelmed every month with product. After reading the savvy tips, scroll down for WWB’s Ideal Find!
WHAT FEATURES MATTER MOST?
When ordering a beauty box subscription, consider the total cost of each box. Perhaps start with a subscription without a long-term commitment to see if you find the box to be a good value.
- Per box: Most subscription boxes are available on a month-by-month basis with no commitment. However, subscriptions are typically billed and shipped automatically until you cancel them.
- Annual savings: Some companies offer a discount if subscribers commit to a multi-month subscription with the largest savings available to those who sign up and prepay for a year’s worth of boxes.
- Promos: Some companies offer discounts for new customers. Search for a promo code before making your purchase.
- Shipping: Make sure the shipping is included in the subscription fee, or factor the shipping fee into the total cost of the box.
Although most companies do not reveal what products will be included in future boxes, their websites should give you a sense of the types and number of products you can expect. Look at their previous boxes to see if they usually include products you’d like to try.
- Size: Beauty boxes may include trial-size or full-size products. Unless the website specifically states that all products in their boxes are full size, assume that the majority will be in trial sizes.
- Quantity: Consider how many products come in each box. Check to see if the website lists the number of samples or the minimum manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of the items included. A box with a minimum total MSRP might offer more consistent value.
- Brands: Look at the beauty box websites to see if partner brands are listed, so you’ll know whether you’ll likely get prestige or drugstore brands. If a box includes both, you can also look at past boxes to see the ratio of prestige to drugstore brands.
Beauty boxes and beauty box subscriptions make excellent gifts for makeup lovers, selective consumers and discerning loved ones. Most companies make it easy to send their product as a gift.
- Subscriptions: Some companies allow you to set up the subscription so the recipient’s first box simply arrives in the mail.
- Gift cards: Some companies offer gift cards. Once the recipient has received the card, she or he can order the box online.
If you have sensitive skin or have ethical concerns about the beauty products you purchase, determine whether the ingredients in the products included in each box will meet your needs and standards.
- Cruelty-free: If you avoid products that have been tested on animals or that contain any animal by-products, look for boxes that include only cruelty-free products.
- Natural: Those with sensitive skin or who worry about chemicals in their beauty products and cosmetics should look for boxes with hypoallergenic or organic products.
- Labeled: Regardless of your preferences about ingredients, make sure you will be able to view a full ingredient list for every item in each box. Products should be labeled clearly in case you have questions or concerns.
Because beauty boxes are designed to help you discover new products and brands, look for ones with tutorials so you can learn how to use all the items in the box.
- In box: Most boxes contain written instructions and photos in each subscription box.
- Online: Some companies offer video tutorials online, so you can watch a professional use the product.
- In store: Companies that also have retail locations may offer free in-store tutorials.
Because your skin is unique, you want to know the products you receive will work for you. Look at whether a company customizes its subscription boxes to match consumers’ tastes and needs.
- No customization: Some boxes are not customized based on your preferences. These boxes typically include products that work for a wide number of people and a variety of skin types.
- Limited customization: The majority of boxes are somewhat customized for different consumers. For these boxes, you usually need to fill out a profile detailing your skin needs, beauty concerns and preferences. Boxes may be customized further after you begin to review products included in your boxes.
- Full customization: A few companies allow customers to choose all of the products included in their box. These usually include fewer samples and may be more expensive.
The World Wise Beauty ‘IDEAL FIND’ for the beauty and personal care subscription box category is ‘Yuzen’. They also have a very price-conscious gift box you can send to loved ones on Mother’s Day! Click the image to discover what their box offers. Here is the selection criteria straight from the founders of Yuzen…
What are our criteria for inclusion?
“We always look to quality, mission, and integrity before we put it to our Yuzen test. We evaluate its performance, experience the benefits first hand, and then we share our favorites. The selected companies are the highest of quality, transparent in mission, and beautiful.”